When it comes to salad, you truly can throw in everything but the kitchen sink to score that win-win blend of low fat, low calorie and big flavour. Here’s how to shake things up.
- Experiment with greens, such as arugula, kale, endive and all varieties of lettuce.
- Look to preparation helpers such as pre-washed greens mixes, pre-cut fruits and broccoli florets.
- To make your salad a main course, include chicken, pork, beef, or seafood and cheese. Add bread to round the meal out—go homemade, fresh from the oven, with Bisquick. Try Grilled Beef Fajita Salad or Warm Chicken and Corn Salad.
- Scan the fridge for inspiration in that leftover half an avocado, grilled chicken breast, or other veggies or proteins. Think Corn and Black Bean Salad, Grilled Margarita Chicken and Fruit or Turkey Taco Layered Salad.
- For maximum freshness, don’t add dressing until serving. Another option: Serve salad dressing on the side, in a ramekin and let diners personally dress salads upon eating.