The last thing you want is to invite a bunch of people to your house and then have your turkey disintegrate a la Ellen Griswold. Follow the directions below to avoid resorting to an emergency bucket of takeout chicken.
- Heat oven to 325ºF (160ºC).
- Remove plastic wrap from thawed turkey and carefully discard.
- Remove neck and giblets from body cavity (these are tucked inside the neck and body cavities, so be sure to check both).
- Giblets can be rinsed and cooked in a saucepan of boiling water and simmered during turkey roasting time.
- Use the rich broth in your gravy preparation (discard giblets).
- Rinse turkey well inside and out with cold water.
- Thoroughly pat dry with paper towels.
- Place turkey, breast side up, on rack in shallow roasting pan.
- Brush with about 2 tbsp (25 mL) butter.
- Insert meat thermometer so tip is in thickest part of inside thigh muscle and does not touch bone.
- Roast uncovered, following the Roasting Guidelines Chart below for approximate total cooking time.
- The drumstick should move easily when lifted or twisted.
- Roast until juice is no longer pink when centre of thigh is cut.
- When the turkey is done remove it from the oven. Cover with foil and let stand for 15 to 20 minutes before carving.
Roasting Guidelines Chart
|Oven Temperature: 325ºF/160ºC|
||Oven Time Hours
|Oven Time Hours|
|6 to 8 lbs (3.0 to 3.5 kg)
||3 to 3¼
||2½ to 2¾|
|8 to10 lbs (3.5 to 4.5 kg)
||3¼ to 3½
||2¾ to 3|
|10 to 12 lbs (4.5 to 5.5 kg)
||3½ to 3¾
||3 to 3¼|
|12 to16 lbs (5.5 to 7.0 kg)
||3¾ to 4
||3¼ to 3½|
|16 to 22 lbs (7.0 to 10.0 kg)
||4 to 4½
||3½ to 4|