It’s 3pm and the vending machine is beckoning. With these snacks on hand, you can ignore the junk-food siren call and still grab something quick, easy and delicious. The difference? These snacks are wholesome and delicious.
- Nature Valley granola bars, whole grain snack mixes, Cheerios and light popcorn are easy to carry in resealable plastic bags.
- Keep baby carrots, celery sticks, frozen grapes, bananas, apples, or other favourites on hand.
- String cheese, cheese slices or chunks provide necessary calcium. Remember that a serving is about the size of your first and middle finger together.
- Lower-fat crackers, pretzels and baked tortilla chips can be spread with holiday Mexican vegetable dip or salsa.
- Cereal and yogurt are nutrient powerhouses. Choose a high-fibre cereal, such as Fibre 1, and a lower-fat yogurt (2% MF or less). Or layer the two with fruit for a Nature Valley* Yogurt Breakfast Parfait For One.
- Peanuts or roasted soy nuts are great munchies, but their calories and fat can add up quickly. Mix with low-fat popcorn to keep it light.
- Dried fruits are packed with vitamins, so mix them with pretzels, low-fat popcorn or Cheerios.
- Half of a sandwich made with whole-wheat bread and lean turkey, beef, ham or tuna and low-fat cheese makes a substantial snack. Go for mustard instead of mayo.
Cheerios* breakfast smoothies with fruit can be a delicious treat as well as an excellent source of calcium, vitamins and other important nutrients.
- Sweet treats like cookies and brownies are okay every once in awhile. But check the total number of calories and enjoy only one or two.